Monday, July 6, 2009

Yale Art Gallery

I took my kids and my neice to the Yale Art Gallery last week and here are my findings...enjoy!

I took a liking to this mace because it's a piece of New Haven history and it's quite beautiful to boot!






I liked this piece because it's got a pool table (I'm a pool player) and it's by a guy you may have heard of, Vincent van Gogh!







I really liked this one for it's 3-D effect. Notice the brush sticking out? It also has safety pins holding together a tear in the painting. It's one of those pieces you can look at a bunch of times and notice something different each time.









This was actually a video in the contemporary art section, which from what I saw, was basically about a guy who was pointing out the differences between him and his grandfather - how his grandfather was happy working in the same job his whole life and how different the attitudes are today in that regard. I wasn't able to watch the whole thing though (I had three kids with me!)





Here's one that I can't really put into words why I like it but I do. I was drawn to it because of it's obvious oddness.







I really liked this painting because it captures all of the suffering that occurred in New Orleans in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina. The anguish on the the man's face says it all.










I only wish I had a picture of the looks on my children's faces when they saw this one! It's bizarre but very interesting and you have to look at it for a while to see all the weird things about it. For example: the hand sticking out of the table















This was by far my favorite piece at the museum. At first, it startled me because I was not expecting it and then after looking at it for a few moments and realizing it was made 35 years ago. I always think of heroin as a modern day issue but it really isn't. It has been being abused for centuries, but not until people started shooting it, like the subject in this piece is, that it really became a huge social issue.











I honestly have no idea how to articulate why, but I am in love with this shoe by Andy Warhol









I liked this piece basically because of how realistic it looks. It looks like a photograph which is amazing to me!








I found quite a few pieces that I liked in the Chinese art section, however many were unphotographable (anything on loan cannot be photographed). Here is a favorite that I was able to take a picture of.







I was sort of thrown off by the size of this "Chief's Chair" in the African Art section. I'm not sure if you can tell how small it is, but it looks as if it were for a child.




Not much outside of the contemporary art and the Chinese Art did much for me with the exception of a few pieces, including this one.








The museum did an excellent job of detailing the work that went into the restoration of this piece. Amazing!






The picture of this marble statue really doesn't do it justice. The detail in the the way the fabric falls on the woman is very beautiful and I'm always amazed how a sculptor can get such detail onto such a hard surface.




















































2 comments:

Jerry said...

Hi Aimee...

Looks like you had a good visit... glad you took your kids... The Pool table picture is probably the most valuable painting on the planet... the bidding would probably go over $200 million if it were ever up for auction...

PoolHallJunkie said...

Seriously!? Wow!