Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wadsworth Atheneum

I took my kids and my niece (middle) to the Wadsworth last week. My daughter is less than thrilled to be having her picture taken and did not really take a lot of interest in the museum in general but I was happy to see how interested my son and niece were. In fact, my son had a ball counting "butts" (he counted 19) and was giving us all a chuckle!

These are paintings by Pablo Picasso. Of course, I had heard of him, but I don't think I've ever seen any of his work so I was glad to have been able to see these.








This painting was haunting and very weird to me. Definitely one I had to look at for a while.




My appreciation for Greek mythology made this next painting one of my favorites for sure. I especially liked the contrast between the white attire of the woman who is about to die (but is being rescued by Hercules) and the black of "death".



I have seen this painting before. I was drawn to it because of the typical beach attire. How different ours is today! I want one of those umbrellas.


This is a self-portrait of Vincent Van Gogh. I thought it was interesting to find out about how much his painting at the Yale Art Gallery was worth and to think he probably did not make much, if anything, for his paintings while he was alive.


This painting is very touching because you can see the pain in the woman's face due to the lost of a loved one.
I was very drawn to this painting because of it's beautiful use of color.

I looked at this one for a while and kept seeing something interesting every time my eyes went over it. A very interesting painting!

I really liked this because it's beautiful but also because it's 4 pieces that come together to make one.
This next piece is made of HUMAN BONE! I don't even want to know how he got his material to work with.

This display is amazing! There are 2000 little ceramic pieces inside this case.

These Niagara Falls paintings were 2 of my favorite (the first one in particular). I've been there 5 or 6 times and I'm always in love with it there, especially taking the boat ride that goes under the falls and, as depicted in this first painting, the rainbows. Fascinating!


Here are a few pictures of the costumes from the Ballet Russes by Serge Diaghilev. This was a delightful exhibit full of history - these costumes tell a story if you use your imagination.

No comments: